SPENCER COUNTY — Memorial Day is celebrated nationwide on the last Monday in May. This is a day to recognize and honor the brave men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice in service to the United States. This year, Memorial Day is on Monday, May 29.
On the day itself and leading up to Memorial Day, many members of the community will attend memorial services. The community can also remember fallen soldiers by paying homage to fallen veterans at local veteran memorial sites. Local organizations and citizens will also place American flags at the grave sites of military veterans.
The St. Meinrad American Legion Post 366 will be holding memorial services on Sunday, May 28, at cemeteries in the Spencer County community. They will have seven shooters releasing three shots for a 21 gun salute at each memorial service site.
The schedule for their memorial services is:
- 7:10 a.m. — St. Martin of Tours Cemetery, Siberia
- 7:30 a.m. — Doolittle Mills Cemetery, Perry County
- 8 a.m. — St. Croix Cemetery, St. Croix
- 9 a.m. — St. Boniface Cemetery, Fulda
- 9:20 a.m. — St. John’s Lutheran Cemetery, Evanston
- 9:40 a.m. — St. John’s Chrysostom Cemetery, New Boston
- 10 a.m. — (Kratzburg) Trinity United Church of Christ Cemetery, Fulda
- 10:25 a.m. — St. Meinrad Cemetery, St. Meinrad
The Grandview Civic Association will also be sponsoring a memorial service on Monday, May 29, at the Grandview Cemetery at 9 a.m. Refreshments will be provided.
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular commented articles.